1. The Food
Our chef and staff have put together an awesome menu based on the most popular items we’ve served in the past. You may want to grab a napkin to reduce drool before checking out the menu in the Main Tent (entrées are $7 - Served with a choice of two sides, dessert & beverage):
- Rotisserie-Style Chicken Leg Quarter or Breast
- Hickory-Smoked Beef Brisket Platter
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich
- ¼ lb. Hamburger or All Beef Hot Dog
- Sides: Fresh Cubed Watermelon, Creamy Mac & Cheese, Pasta Salad, Slow-Cooked Baked Beans, Sweet Cornbread.
- Desserts: Apple Pie or Brownie
And, of course, we’ll have our Quick Tent, where you can grab a grilled chicken sandwich, hamburger, hot dog, chicken tenders (all just $2 each!) and drinks. Kids 12 and under receive vouchers for some free food at the Quick Tent!
2. The Activities
There are activities going on all day for the kids as well as for the young at heart. Here’s the schedule:
Kids & Miscellaneous:
- Noon-6 p.m.: Kids Corner at the Gazebo (games, crafts, face painting, bounce-house and more)
- Noon-3 p.m.: Mini fishing derby for kids 12 and under
- Noon-3 p.m.: Tours of the Concordia Haven Apartments (retirement living)
- Noon-2 p.m.: The Rick Farinelli Big Band
- 2-3 p.m.: Sing Along with Robin and Roberta
- 3-4 p.m.: Worship Service featuring Rev. Dr. Ken Klaus (more on this below)
- 4:30-5:30 p.m.: Dan Meunier Steel Drums
3. The Worship Service Speaker
We’ve had some outstanding guest speakers at the Summer Festival Worship Service in the past, and we are DEFINITELY carrying on that tradition this year, as Rev. Dr. Ken Klaus will be giving the message.
Dr. Klaus is Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour® radio program, heard locally on WJAS-AM 1320 Sunday morning at 7 a.m. He served as Speaker of The Lutheran Hour from 2002 until his retirement from the position in 2010. Pastor Klaus has 28 years experience as a parish pastor. Before taking the Speaker's microphone, he was administrative pastor of Our Redeemer Lutheran Church in Dallas, Texas and held pastoral positions in Minnesota, central Illinois, and South Dakota.
Pastor Klaus speaks throughout the United States and Canada, and is a prolific writer. He has published many works, including volumes one and two of “Stories from The Lutheran Hour - A Changeless Christ in a Changing World” and two prayer books (one for use by people in the military and a companion book to be used by loved ones at home).
4. Ummmm… it’s FREE
Ok, that’s only mostly true. You will pay for some food (but come on: $7 for an entire dinner, $2 per item at the Quick Tent is great!) and we have a free-will offering during the worship service, which you are in no way obligated to give to. But other than that, you can leave the wallet at home! Admission, parking, entertainment and all the kids activities are 100% FREE! And don't forget: Kids 12 and under receive vouchers for some free food at the Quick Tent!
Registration isn’t required, but we would love it if you would go to our Facebook page and tell us you’re coming!
If you want more information or have any questions, please contact Concordia’s Public Relations office at 724-352-1571, ext. 8266. You can also message through our Contact Form.