And this year, with our “Big Easy” Louisiana theme, it's shaping up to be another festival for the history books! Ok, maybe that’s a little extreme. It’ll be one for the Concordia history books!
Just in case you’re on the fence, we put together a list of reasons you should come out to our Summer Festival. Do you have some other reasons to add? Leave a comment below!
1. Everyone loves free – Sure, your economics teacher told you there’s no such thing as a free lunch, but we assure you, this event has free admission, free parking, free entertainment, free kids activities and even free food vouchers for those 12 and under! There is a goodwill offering during the worship service that benefits our charitable care fund, but there is no obligation to give.
2. The Louisiana-inspired menu – New Orleans is a bucket list destination for foodies everywhere… but it’s so far away! Our chef has prepared a menu that brings some of that iconic food here! A few highlights include Creole-Style Pork Osso Buco, Southern Fried Chicken, Red Beans & Rice, Maque Choux, Southern Corn Bread, Bananas Foster Bread Pudding and more!
3. Live music – We have three bands playing throughout the day, and they all aim to impress. At 12:30 p.m., Gringo Zydeco Band will take the stage, and if you’ve never experienced Zydeco music (blends Cajun music, blues and rhythm and blues), then you’ll REALLY want to be here! Dixieband, featuring members of the North Suburban Symphony Band, starts at 1:30 p.m. Finally, The House Band, made up of Concordia staff members, will close out the musical portion of the day, starting at 4 p.m.
4. The kids WILL be entertained – We don’t even know where to start with the kids’ activities!
- Fishing contest (noon to 3 p.m.)
- Bounce House
- Face painting
- Big Easy- and Bayou-themed crafts
- Games including mini golf, bean toss, knock ‘em down
- Rockwall climbing
- Caricature Artist (12:30 to 4:30 p.m.)
- Leap Frog Race (4:15 p.m. for 4-6 yrs olds; 4:30 p.m. for 7 -10 yrs old; 4:45 p.m. for 10 and older)
And did we mention FREE FOOD VOUCHERS for kids 12 and under?
5. The tradition and guest preacher – The traditional worship service, held at 3 p.m., has been a part of the Concordia Summer Festival since it started over 130 years ago! This year we are proud to host LCMS English District Bishop and President Rev. Dr. David P. Stechholz. Bishop Stechholz served as shepherd of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer and School, Oakmont, PA [1978-1988], Messiah Lutheran Church, Danville, CA [1988-1991], and West Portal Evangelical Lutheran Church & School, San Francisco [1991-2006].
If those aren’t enough reasons to make the trip out to Cabot, then we’re at a loss! We hope to see you Sunday – if you have any questions or want more info, call Concordia Public Relations at 724-352-1571, ext. 8266 or message us through the Contact form here on the website.