Fortunately, there is hope. There are hundreds of senior living communities in Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas, providing endless options to choose from. While every senior living community is different, here are a few things you should look for when choosing your path along life’s next great adventure.
Location, Location, Location
Location is easily one of the most important factors when choosing a senior care community. Ideally, your new home will be conveniently located close to family, friends, shopping centers, medical care facilities and other community amenities. As you enter the residence, take note of the décor and space around you. Is it attractive and homelike? Do you receive a warm, welcoming feeling from the staff? It may not seem that important in the grand scheme of things, but having a smiling face greet you each time can make a substantial impact during your stay.
Care Services to Accommodate Your Specific Needs
There are a variety of senior living facilities, from independent retirement living to more hands-on personal care. The level of care that you, or a loved one, require should be a big part of your decision-making process. Take a quick look at these senior care service-specific questions for a guide in the right direction.
- Retirement (or Independent) Living
- Are you an active, independent individual? Do you plan to remain active in your community?
- Are you able to manage your own medications with little or no assistance from others?
- Can you manage your personal care needs?
- Personal Senior Care
- Do you need a little more help getting out of bed in the morning, getting dressed, bathing or carrying out other activities of daily living?
- Is personal care and safety a concern? Do you have significant trouble with balance and getting around the home?
- Is meal preparation a daunting task day in and day out? Do you feel your body is getting the nutrients it needs?
- Memory Care Services
- Is safety a concern, specifically related to confusion, wandering, memory loss, personal care or emotional agitation?
- Have you noticed a change in personal hygiene habits? Oftentimes, dementia or other memory-impairing ailments can cause your loved one to forget to care for their own well-being.
- Is your loved one slowly starting to hold on to unnecessary items? This hoarding habit may be a result of confusion due to dementia or other memory loss.
Making the Right Choice
After you’ve determined exactly what it is you or your loved one needs from a senior living community, it’s time to schedule visits to those you are interested in. After personally checking a few out, you are finally ready to move into your top choice. Make the transition as smooth as possible by working closely alongside the admissions staff at the senior living community you choose for move-in assistance.
No matter what level of senior care you or your loved one requires, you can count on finding exactly what you need at Concordia Lutheran Ministries. Home of the broadest care network stretching across Western Pennsylvania and into Eastern Ohio, our senior care centers provide everything needed to make you feel at home in no time at all. Discover for yourself how our faith in caring can make a difference in your daily life and schedule a tour of a location near you!