At Concordia, we are passionate about our residents and their loved ones, and want you to find a nursing home with which you both feel comfortable. Looking at nursing homes can be overwhelming as there are many things to consider. Having a personal checklist is key to helping you find the right fit. Here is a list of items to get you started when looking for a nursing home:
1. Location: Is the nursing home conveniently located?
2. Cleanliness: How clean is the environment?
3. Physical Considerations: Is the facility well lit, clean, safe, and welcoming?
4. Security and Safety: Ask about the facilities plan for keeping your loved one safe.
5. Facility Certification: Is the facility certified by Medicare and Medicaid?
6. Policies: Learn about the policies of the facility – visiting hours, smoking policy, etc. Do they line up with you and your loved one’s lifestyle?
7. Activities: Ask about the frequency and types of activities your loved one can participate in
8. Specialty Care: What type of care is available?
9. Resident Choices: Ask the facility how much freedom they offer their residents.
10. Staff: Is the staff friendly? What is the ratio of staff to residents during each shift?
11. Mental & Emotional Well Being of Patients: What activities are scheduled for the residents? Is there a safe place for residents to enjoy the outdoors? What is the visiting policy?
12. Meals: How does the food taste, and how is it presented to the residents? Can the facility accommodate dietary restrictions?
13. Room Sharing & Furnishings: Will the resident share a room and/or a bathroom? Can residents bring some of their own furniture?
14. Admission Requirements: What is the admissions process like? How long does it take? Are they accepting new residents?
15. Cost of Care: What is included in the cost?
What items are most important to you and your loved one? We hope this list helps to make your nursing home search easier in deciding which one is the best fit.
Please know that you are not alone, and our knowledgeable staff is here to help answer your questions and guide you through this process. When you contact Concordia for assistance with these matters, know that we are here to HELP you, not sell you. Please feel free to contact us any time via our online contact form or by calling us at 724-352-1571. Or, visit the care levels & services page of our website to learn about our wide range of services including Long-Term Nursing Care, Retirement Living, and more.