If you're looking for ideas for you or for a loved one, here's a list to get you started:
1) Start a Puzzle - Jigsaw puzzles are a great source of entertainment while keeping your mind stimulated. Choose a puzzle that relates to your interests and hobbies, and have fun seeing the picture come together piece by piece.
2) Enjoy Art - Explore your creativity and pass the time with painting, crafts or adult coloring books. You can do this alone or enjoy these activities with friends and family. There are many different ways to enjoy art that can create hours of fun.
3) Take a Trip - Just because the weather may be gloomy outside doesn't mean you have to stay indoors. Ask your retirement community or in-home caregiver how you can plan a trip to visit a friend, stop at a mall or go to a movie, if the weather permits.
4) Try a New Recipe - If there's a recipe you've been wanting to make, now's the time to give it a try! You could also spend time reading cookbooks or searching online for new recipes to add to your collection. You could invite a friend or loved one to help, or ask them to stop over to enjoy the end result.
5) Listen to Music - Music can be a great way to pass the time. You can listen to music from years ago to bring back memories, or find new music to add to your playlist. Not only is it enjoyable, but it can also promote a happier outlook on life.
6) Make a Difference - If you're looking for something to do, why not try an activity that can make a difference in your community? Helping others can give a sense of purpose and create a feeling of fulfillment. You could volunteer at your local church or nonprofit organization, or stay indoors to knit, quilt or crochet articles of clothing to donate to homeless shelters.
7) Read a Book - The benefits of reading are endless and can include reducing stress, expanding your vocabulary and creating new perspectives - all while passing the time. Plus, there are many different types of books to pick from, so there is bound to be one to spark your interest. If you're not interested in reading, why not listen to an audio book?
8) Play a Game - Cards and board games can be fun ways to pass the time indoors during the winter months. There are many options ranging from one-person games to games with multiple players. If you're in a retirement living community, invite other residents to join in on the fun and start a board game or card group.
Don't let the winter weather keep you or your senior loved one from enjoying the season. There are many fun activities to keep you entertained while potentially improving your mental state. If you try one of these ideas or if you enjoy other indoor activities that aren't on this list, please share your thoughts with us below! We'd love to hear from you.
Are you interested in the in-home care or retirement living services we offer at Concordia, or do you have a question for us? If so, contact us any time via our online contact form or call our administrative headquarters at 724-352-1571. Or, visit the care levels & services page of our website to learn more about In-Home Care, Retirement Living, Memory Care, Long-Term Nursing Care, Adult Day Services, Hospice Care and more.